- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 10.5 oz marshmallows 1 entire 10.5 oz bag
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 3/4 cups mini semi-sweet chocolate chips 1 cup mixed in and 3/4 cup for topping
First, start by lining a 9×13 baking pan with parchment paper. Spray the parchment paper with nonstick cooking spray.
Melt the butter in a pan over medium low heat.
Once the butter has completely melted, lower the heat to low and add in the marshmallows and vanilla extract. Stir to combine with the butter. After the marshmallows have melted, remove the pan from the heat.
Add in the Rice Krispies cereal and mix until combined.
Let the Rice Krispies cereal and marshmallow mixture cool before adding the chocolate chips. Add 1 cup of the chocolate chips and stir until combined.
Pour the Rice Krispies treats with chocolate chips into the baking pan and press down gently, filling in all the sides of the baking pan. I used the bottom of a measuring cup to do this. Don’t press down too hard or the Rice Krispies treats will end up with a tough texture.
Pour the rest of the chocolate chips to the top of the Rice Krispies treats and gently press down to ensure they stick into the treats.
Let the Rice Krispies treats rest for about 30 minutes before cutting them into individual squares and serving.
- When adding the chocolate chips to the marshmallow and butter mixture, I did not wait for it to completely cool. I like when the chocolate chips melt into the Rice Krispies treats. However, if you want the chocolate chips inside the Rice Krispies treats to hold their shape, simply wait until the mixture has completely cooled before adding them in.
- Before cutting into the Rice Krispies treats, lift the parchment paperwith the treats out of the baking pan. Transfer to a cutting board and cut them into individual squares. I do this so I don’t cut into my baking pan and possibly damage it.
- Rice Krispies treats can be stored in an air tight container at room temperature for up to 2 days for best results. Alternatively, you may freeze them in an air tight container for up to 6 weeks.
Calories: 235kcal | Carbohydrates: 29g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 13g | Saturated Fat: 8g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 9mg | Sodium: 18mg | Potassium: 149mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 20g | Vitamin A: 102IU | Calcium: 17mg | Iron: 2mg