Turkey Taco Soup Ingredients
- 1 lb leftover turkey meat substitute for chicken or browned ground turkey
- 15.5 oz canned black beans drained and rinsed
- 15.35 oz canned corn drained and rinsed
- 20 oz canned original rotel
- 1 oz taco seasoning 1 packet
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 large garlic clove finely minced
- 2 tbsp lime juice 1 lime
- 2 cups turkey or chicken broth low sodium
- diced onions
- sour cream
- tortilla strips
- shredded Mexican cheese blend
First, start by finely mincing the garlic clove and set aside for now.
Drain and rinse the canned corn and black beans.
In a slow cooker, combine the beans, corn, rotel, tomato paste, taco seasoning, garlic, chicken broth and lime juice. Stir to combine.
Cook on high for 3 hours or low for 6 hours.
Stir in the leftover turkey meat 30 minutes prior to the soup being done.
Top with some of your favorite toppings like sour cream, shredded cheese, cilantro, diced onions and tortilla strips. I like squeezing fresh lime juice over mine as well.
- This recipe was made in a 6 qt crockpot. If you’re making it in a larger one, you’ll want to keep an eye on it after 2 hours on high or 5 hours on low because it may cook faster.
- If you don’t have leftover turkey to use, substitute it for ground turkey. Simply brown the ground turkey in a skillet over medium heat with a little bit of salt, black pepper and granulated garlic if desired. Once browned, add it to the crockpot with the rest of the ingredients and cook as directed.
- Leftover turkey should only be added into the slow cooker at the last 30 minutes of cooking. Since the turkey is already cooked, we are just heating it up in the soup.
- Add additional toppings of choice like cilantro, shredded cheese, queso fresco, diced onions, cilantro, lime juice, avocado, sour cream, tortilla strips, hot sauce or anything else you’d like.
- You may also substitute the turkey for leftover chicken.
Calories: 413kcal | Carbohydrates: 38g | Protein: 42g | Fat: 10g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 3g | Monounsaturated Fat: 3g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 124mg | Sodium: 1320mg | Potassium: 785mg | Fiber: 9g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 778IU | Vitamin C: 11mg | Calcium: 59mg | Iron: 4mg