Juicy, spicy air fryer blackened chicken breasts are ready in just 15 minutes. I love making blackened chicken when I’m prepping my meals for the week. Not only is it quick and easy but it’s packed with flavor and lots of spice. Top off some of your favorite salads with it like this Arugula Avocado Salad with Homemade Lime Vinaigrette or serve with some rice or your favorite pasta dish. Air fried blackened chicken is such a versatile dish, you just can’t go wrong.
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Let’s Talk About The Ingredients
- Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breast – For this recipe I’m using chicken breasts but you may use other parts of the chicken like drumsticks or thighs. Just make sure to adjust the cooking time for bone-in chicken. You may use this recipe for Air Fryer BBQ Chicken Thighs as a guide.
- Blackened Seasoning – Coat the chicken completely in Old Bay Blackened seasoning.
- Granulated Garlic and Salt – Rub the chicken with granulated garlic and salt.
- Olive Oil – This olive oil spray works great and doesn’t have propellants in it which may damage the non-stick layer in your air fryer.
How To Make Air Fryer Blackened Chicken
- First, start by preheating the air fryer to 375 degrees F for 5 minutes.
- Pat dry the chicken breast completely with a paper towel.
- Spray the chicken with olive oil spray and season with blackened seasoning, granulated garlic and salt. Rub the seasonings into the chicken.
- Spray the inside of the air fryer with this no propellant olive oil spray.
- Place the chicken breasts into the air fryer to cook at 375 degrees F for 10-12 minutes, flipping halfway or until a thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the chicken reads 165 degrees F. Review the notes below if you have very small or large chicken breasts.
- Remove from the air fryer and serve immediately.
Cooking Times May Vary
Cooking times for the chicken may vary depending on what kind of air fryer you own and what size your chicken breasts are. Chicken breast is generally done cooking in 8-10 minutes, however larger sizes may take up to 20 minutes depending on thickness. I recommend investing in a kitchen thermometer to ensure doneness.
Spicy, blackened chicken breasts go well with so many different dishes. Top some Alfredo pasta or a fresh salad with this chicken. It’s also great with a side of rice or some air fried veggies like this Air Fryer Spaghetti Squash.
Store completely cooled leftovers in an air tight container for up to 5 days. Reheat in the air fryer at the lowest setting or in the microwave until completely heated through once ready to enjoy again.
- Use a kitchen thermometer to check for doneness. Once the thickest part of the chicken breast reaches at least 165 degrees F, it’s ready. Smaller sized chicken breasts will be ready between 8-10 minutes, medium sized breasts will be done in 10-12 minutes and very large breasts can even take up to 20 minutes to reach a safe temperature for consuming.
- Add salt according to taste. Keep in mind that the blackened seasoning already has salt in it, so don’t add too much.
- Always read your air fryer manual.